Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Better late than never.... Review of MagTech First Defense

I received an email a couple of months ago asking me if I would review some ammo on my blog if they sent it to me.  I thought about it for a few moments and then thought “why not.” LOL


The ammo I tried was Magtech First Defense Justice 9mm - +P - 92.6 gr SCHP.  What I normally have loaded in my carry piece 115 grain defensive rounds.  I did take about 10 rounds of those to shoot so that I would know how they felt when shot, but had not shot any in awhile.


When I first got to the range, I put 5 rounds of the Magtech into a magazine and let it go.  I liked it.  I shot a nice 3 inch grouping and felt that was a good start! LOL
To truly compare this ammo to what I carry I decided to fill a magazine with both types of bullets.  Alternating them so that I could compare them easier. (I really impressed myself with that idea, so be gentle if that is not the correct way to compare them! :-) )  I could tell the difference between the two, but I did not feel that it was a very noticeable difference.  The force with which the bullet left the gun was what I noticed the most, but nothing that would hinder my performance on the range or heaven forbid, off the range.  I detected a tad more recoil, but my accuracy was a fraction better with the 92 grains.  Now, that could have been because I was shooting these first and my arm was not fatigued yet, but we will go with the grain difference.  I ended up shooting the whole box of 20 that day.  Of course, anyone that spends time at the range knows that shooting 20 bullets takes a matter of seconds.  I took my time and judged how they felt.  I liked the Magtech and feel that their prices are reasonable. ($23.00 per box, but with discounts on larger orders.)


Will I order any of these from luckygunner.com?  I can not answer that at this time because I have a nice local source from my carry ammo at a decent price.  I will say that if I ever need to start ordering ammo, I will look at luckygunner.com before I order to see what they have to offer.


I know I have not done the best to accurately describe this ammo, but I will say that if you are thinking of order this ammo, I believe you will be happy with your purchase.

**Disclaimer:  I have not received any compensation for this review.  I only received the product that I reviewed and not any monetary compensation.**

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job reviewing the ammo!! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete