Thursday, October 25, 2012

People can be paranoid.....

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you have probably deducted from them that I work in the public school system.  Which until July 1st of this year extremely hindered my ability to carry for a large portion of my day.

Since July 1st, I can now secure my handgun in my car while it is parked on school property.  Before that date I was not allowed to do that and could have gotten into ALOT of trouble if I had done so, so I didn't.  Which meant that from the time I left in the morning to until I came home I was unarmed.  I had to decide whether I wanted to run errands defenseless before going home or go home first.  Since I am the type that wants to STAY home once I get there, I usually went defenseless for longer periods of time.

That is NO longer an issue and I am very happy about that! :-)

Now for the real intention of this post tonight. :-D

One of my duties at school is the morning drop off area.  Another teacher and myself stand out there and make sure the kids get out of their cars safely and "remind" parents of the proper way to conduct themselves during drop off time.  Most of our morning drop offs are regulars and know the drill by this point in the school year.

Well today we had a "newbie," a dad that had never dropped his daughter off before, so not only did he not stop in the right place (not a biggie), but he had her on the opposite side of his truck than the side we are on. Not a big deal really, he just got out of the front seat and helped her out to make sure she was safe and the other teacher walked around to help her the rest of the way.  Other than a worried dad that she would make it to class, nothing unusual.

At least until the next car came up and I let that child out.  The mother in the car says "is that guy a cop?"  I said excuse me, since I had no idea what she was talking about.  She then goes on to tell me that the guy in front of her "had a gun on his hip" and wanted to know if he was a cop.  I told her that I did not know, since it was the first time I had seen him.  She started going on about him "having a gun" and it was school property.  I patiently explained to her that it was completely legal in our state to carry your gun on school property as long as you were dropping off a child and NOT going into the building.  He would only be in violation is he parked his vehicle and attempted to walk into the school building, otherwise what he did was legal in our state.  She was not too happy with my "revelation" to her but thankfully went on her way since the line was growing behind her. LOL

When the teacher later asked me what all that was about, her only response was "she would have a cow if she knew what was in your car everyday."  And yes, she is the only teacher there that knows that I carry and exercise my right to secure it in my vehicle while I am at work. :-)

I am still shaking my head over that woman's reaction!

No comments:

Post a Comment